Overall Being

Overall Being
Love + Life + Blessings

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Using Natural Therapies for Depression


In order to change something, don't struggle to change the existing model. Create a new model and make the old one obsolete.
--Buckminster Fuller


Depression is known as a mental health illness and with depression disorders, you can feel worthless, exhausted, helpless and hopeless. These negative thoughts and feelings make most people feel like giving up on themselves and their life. It is quite important to know that this is a normal and very common reaction to depression. However, there are some self help depression treatments that you can consider to help lift and do away with this mental illness. Winter time can bring what is known as Winter Blues Syndrome. With sudden change of weather that is usually gloomy, dark, raining and cold....inhibits sometimes us being able to sit outside and soak up the Vitamin D that is required for healthy mental health.

I thought I would focus on this topic for this week because of the state of my own mental health lately....not that I have depression (I have in the past though, so do know how this can feel) but because I have been (and still am) quite sick. Putting a stop to myself being out and about as much as I do normally with my youngest son whilst my other son's are at school. So grab a cuppa, sit down and relax. I hope you get something out of this article and tips. If you are someone who is suffering....please consider talking with someone, leaning on someone but most of all know there are people in your life that love you & cherish you.

Feeling depressed can drain you of your energy, making anything in your daily life seem quite difficult to cope with. Even though overcoming this mental illness is not easy, it can be done. There are several ways to beat this with some self help and even though it will take time and patience, it can be accomplished.

One of the first things you need to do is make a big change in your current lifestyle. Stop isolating yourself and begin to exercise each day(even if around the block for a walk). Start challenging those negative thoughts in your mind (use positive affirmations such as "I can", "I am able" or "I will"). Eat healthier foods and stay away from foods that are considered to be unhealthy, such as refined carbs(cut down on caffeine / alcohol as this changes your focus). You must dig deep inside of yourself and become as strong as you can (buy a gorgeous journal and jot down regular thoughts, make goals for yourself). Make some positive choices in your life for each new day and also get some support from others, like your family and friends (always believe in you...know there is others sometimes in your same predicament...YOU are not ALONE...there are people that love you....just reach out!).

Spend time to think about all the things you can do to help make yourself feel better and begin to build upon it. Consider taking a nice long walk or spending some quality time with family or friends. Start off slow and take it only one step at a time. You did not get depressed over night, so do not expect it to go away quickly. It will take some time, but with your inner strength and will power to survive, you will be able to win the battle against depression.

"Loving myself heals my life. I nourish my mind, body and soul"


Receiving lots of support is one thing that you need during this time in your life. You may feel some shame or exhaustion, but remember this is all a symptom of depression and as you begin to win the battle, these feelings will start to vanish. Do not stay alone even though at times that is the way you feel you want to be. I know it can be very normal and the easy way out. Instead try being around the ones who are closest to you, for this too may help to build up some strength in your mind.

There are some utterly devine Journals (some I sell which are Fair Trade) that you can buy and use to outline thoughts, goals etc. Plan out each day and be sure to have something to do or somewhere to go. You will be surprised to see how pushing yourself will make you feel better. The depression will not lift that quickly, but you certainly will feel it gradually decrease as time goes by and you will soon begin to feel more energetic and upbeat with a much more positive attitude.

Remember that depression can stand in your way of living a normal and happy life and stop you from doing everything that is positive, but never give up. "I choose love, joy and freedom, open my heart and allow wonderful things to flow into my life."  Continue to exercise each day, eat a good and healthy balanced diet and always keep in your mind that the trick to beating this illness is to replace all of the negative thoughts with much more balanced thoughts. Become emotionally intelligent, this way you can harness the all the powers of your thoughts and plant only good and positive feelings in your mind. Partaking in Alcoholic beverages and too much caffeine can alter this state of mind. Remember that depression is strong so it will take an even stronger means of inner power to conquer it. "My life is a joy filled with love, fun and friendship all I need do is stop all criticism, forgive, relax and be open."

Why not try some of the following treatments:

Relaxation Massage
Reiki Healing
Chakra Rebalance
Aromatherapy: Oil Blends to burn/vaporise within your home and car, Body lotions, Facial & Room Spray.

Depression can be triggered by stress, lack of exercise, chemical imbalance in the brain or a traumatic life event. Why not try the following natural Aromatherapy blends.

Essential Oils :

Jasmine, Lavender, Neroli


Suggestions for Use:

Add 10 drops of essential oil to the bath and soak for 15 minutes (or more if you can).
Add a few drops of essential oil to a carrier oil and use as a full body massage. 
Use as an inhalation for burning or vaporisation.
Buy Floral waters or Linen waters in the above Oils and use as a facial Spritzer or Body Spray.


Meditation


Meditation is a wonderful relaxing way of calming your whole body, I have done previous blog entry on this so give one of those a try. Do this regularly. Make a time each day that way you wont go a day without it. Regular Meditation has been proven to help heal from in.


Positive Affirmations


By choosing to think and say positive affirmations as true, the subconscious is forced into one of two reactions - avoidance or reappraisal. Because affirmations actually reprogram your thought patterns, they change the way you think and feel about things, and because you have replaced dysfunctional beliefs with your own new positive beliefs, positive change comes easily and naturally. This will start to reflect in your external life, you will start to experience seismic changes for the better in many aspects of your life. I regularly tell my children "What you tell your brain is what your body will believe".

There are so many ways of doing affirmations:

Mirror
Cards
Sing / chant
Saying with passion.

If you use our good friend Mr Google you will find loads of wonderful Positive Affirmations, but below I have scouted and found some really good ones (some I have been using over various times of my life).


A list of positive affirmations to deal with depression

  • I pursue my life’s purpose
  • I feel worthy
  • I feel fulfilled & joyful
  • I deserve to be happy
  • I only have positive mental pictures
  • Joy overflows in my life
  • I am becoming better everyday
  • I embrace positive self-esteem
  • I reject abuse from others
  • I have faith and deep belief in myself
  • I have an enthusiastic outlook on life
  • My future looks great

A list of positive Self Confidence Affirmations

  • I am strong and secure
  • I have inner resources
  • I have the power to realize my goals
  • I take charge of my life
  • I am valuable
  • I stand firmly in my belief in myself
  • People respect me
  • People like me
  • I am a true friend
  • I care for people
  • I am confident of my capabilities, expertise, and know-how
  • I am interested in others
  • I am confident
  • I am a strong person
  • I dissolve all obstacles to having complete self-confidence
  • I am a success
  • I choose to be happy
  • I have faith in God and my future
  • I am courageous
  • I am a hero
  • People admire me
  • I deserve to succeed
  • I am calm
  • I maintain my self-confidence in all times and places
  • I forgive myself
  • I have inner peace
  • I heal all issues affecting my self-confidence
  • I am intelligent
  • I forgive myself for any and all past mistakes
  • I am secure in myself
  • I am confident in myself
  • I discover new aspects of my self-confidence daily
  • I take action
  • I balance my self-confidence with modesty perfectly
  • I recognize and honor my talents, abilities, and skills
  • I see each part of my life as a lesson
  • I feel confident from the inside out

A list of positive Self Esteem Affirmations

  • I am loveable
  • I am worthy of love and friendship
  • I accept myself completely
  • I have a solid sense of self-identity
  • I see myself realistically and objectively
  • I find deep inner peace within myself as I am
  • I say positive things about myself to myself
  • I am a kind, caring and decent person
  • I forgive myself for all I have done
  • I forgive every person who has undermined my self-esteem
  • All false images of myself from the past are now dissolved
  • I love and accept all parts of myself
  • I am an interesting person
  • I love and accept all of my thoughts and feelings
  • I am interested in other people
  • All false messages about me are now dissolved in total grace
  • Every day I am getting better and better
  • I love and approve of myself aside from my accomplishments
  • I share my feelings with others and they accept me
  • I have positive self esteem
  • My self esteem comes from inside me
  • I love and approve of myself
  • I accept myself completely as I am
  • I value and honor myself as I am
  • I strive to improve myself
  • I am loving and accepting of myself just as I am
  • I am loving and accepting of myself for who I am becoming
  • I stand firmly in my powerful positive self-esteem
  • I believe strongly in my powerful positive self-esteem
  • I feel total peace with my powerful positive self-esteem
  • I am filled with energy, vitality, and self-esteem
  • I am pleased with how I handle my emotions
  • I know how to manage my schedule
  • I know how to promote my emotional and physical well-being.
  • I take care of my body's needs
  • I love and respect my body.
  • I fill my mind with positive and nourishing thoughts.
  • I am a wonderful person.
  • I deserve health, energy, and calmness
  • I have confidence in my body's ability to heal
  • I feel radiant full of abundant energy and health
  • The world is full of beauty and abundance
  • I am attracted only to those people and situations that support and nurture me
  • I appreciate the positive people
  • I love and honor myself
  • I enjoy being positive and having positive feelings 
Within these Affirmations....."Visualise them". Visualise YOU taking these thoughts on, taking on the feeling after smelling the Aromatherapy, Taking on the feeling after a Meditation.  You can do it! I believe in you.

So what are you waiting for.....go try some today.

I hope you enjoyed today's blog. I have tried to put in as much as I can. But always know I am only an email away, or leave a comment on here with any questions that you may have.

Now what I would like you to do......

* take phone off hook / put it on silent.

*click on the link above in my new post after this, turn your volume up to a comfortable sound volume

* Press play and enjoy.

*feel free to close your eyes and just relax to this gorgeous music.


All my blessings,



5 comments:

Living Altogether said...

Oh Lisa....this really speaks to me.
xo

Lisa Kavenagh said...

I tried to input how I felt when I was going through this. So glad it has given you some meaning too :)

fmfuturedreams said...

What wonderful insight - this is exactly how I feel, you have given me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you <3

fmfuturedreams said...

What wonderful insight you have, this is exactly how I feel, and thank for the hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you <3

Lisa Kavenagh said...

You are most welcome. But its true we are all worthy and we all need to know these things sometimes. Sending you huge love.