A photo I took whilst visiting Bargara.
School holiday season is upon us and most usually travel. So I thought it was fitting to infuse some helpful ideas using the wonderful world of Aromatherapy. Many people complain of stress, fatigue and sickness during such travel. At times, something as minor as a car ride can make people feel queasy and drained. A sniff of essential oils can make the whole experience of traveling brighter and more pleasurable.
If you have been a frequent traveller, you would probably be familiar with problems like:
- Motion sickness
- Stress and anxiety
- Respiratory infections and allergies
- Digestive troubles like flatulence, & constipation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue and body ache
- Sleep disturbances & changes.
Using aromatherapy allows us to handle these common travel problems by allowing ourselves to be more balanced from within. Essential oils when used individually or in combination with other oils can enhance immune functions, elevate the mood, support digestion and even calm down fussy kids!
Choose essential oils that are appropriate for your problems. Below is a few of such that you should include in your natural travel kit and store inside your car travel bag and such:
- Eucalyptus radiata oil has strong anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It is a great choice for travellers who feel drained and are prone to colds and infections. Carry a bottle with you and take a whiff every once in a while.
- Tea tree oil, a potent antiseptic, makes for a great hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available. Rub a drop or two between your hands after using public washrooms or touching contaminated objects. It is also an effective remedy for insect bites. So pop a few drops on your socks if camping.
- Ravensara oil is an ideal choice for relief against pain, muscle cramps and sprains. It also helps boost natural immunity. Use it in bath water .
- Lavender oil is well known for its de-stressing and calming properties. It helps in regularizing sleep patterns and relaxes the mind. Lavender is also effective against colds and flu. Use it with a steam inhaler or put a few drops of it on a tissue and tuck it under your pillow. You may also apply an infused washcloth over your face to open up blocked sinuses. Even using a Lavender Pouch and laying it near you at bedtime.
- Mandarin oil is a natural antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, digestive, antidepressant, sedative and nervous relaxant. It is a one-stop solution for people that are bogged down by nervousness and stress during travel. Its diuretic properties reduce bloating and water retention – a common complaint during travel. Inhale from a tissue that has been infused with a few drops of the oil.
- Ginger oil is effective with indigestion, vomiting, nausea and flatulence. It may be used in combination with massage oils or in a steam inhaler. This one is my favourite. I pop a drop of this into my car vaporiser (Available from Overall Being) to aid in car travel sickness.
Travelling with kids
It can be a challenge if children get cranky and irritable during a long journey and may even fall sick due to change in climate and physical stress. Heaven knows when we travel with our 4 children there is always something that occurs. Here are some essential oils that can help your kids overcome the stress of travelling:
- Lavender Oil has a calming effect on the mind and can aid a peaceful night’s sleep. Put two drops on a tissue and tuck it under pillow case. For long flights, put a couple of drops on a tissue and have children smell from it. Why not order a Roll On Bottle from me. This is perfect for anyone anywhere to use at times of calmness or stress reduction.
- Fennel Oil alleviates symptoms of stress and hyperactivity, it’s also a great home remedy for constipation and stomach upsets. Combine 3 drops of this oil with a teaspoon of olive oil / jojoba oil and apply to tummy with circular movements. You can also put a few drops of the oil in warm water, soak a hand towel and apply on the stomach.
- Sweet Orange oil possesses natural uplifting, detoxifying and rejuvenating properties.
So as you can see there is some very natural ways of travelling this holiday season to combat all the nasties that sometimes come with it. Even just using Aromatherapy soaps, body washes, body creams and body spritzers all can help with your travels.
Safe holidays everyone!